Saturday, August 29, 2009

Taylor Marks

I was in disbelief when I read the email last night that Taylor Marks had been killed in Iraq Thursday. I hadn't seen Taylor in a few years, but my daughter Michelle and I had just been wondering what he was up to a few days ago. We didn't know he was deployed to Iraq and now wish we had kept in contact with him and his family more frequently.
(Normally, I am over-zealous about not infringing on copyrighted material, but I wanted to post this photo of Taylor, so I hope the Oregon National Guard forgives me for using their picture.)

Taylor was a close friend of my daughter throughout their middle and high school years. His mother and I had been in the same single mom's group at church. I was the interpreter for a boy in Taylor's small group in middle school for nearly a year before I learned that my friend was the mom of Michelle's friend.

Taylor was silly and wacky, but always a good kid with a wonderful heart. He had a growing faith and was the best of friends to my daughter, who had a very difficult home life due to her sister's serious problems. Taylor was always there for her. I always felt they made a great couple and was surprised they never dated. Many people assumed they were a couple, but they were just close friends. I had missed him once he changed to another church.

This photo of Taylor is from middle school. Sadly, it is the only photo I seem to have of him. It has been rough for my daughter and I to deal with the grief, but we had a rare visit with my granddaughter planned for today, so that kept us busy. We want to go visit his mom on Monday and support her during this unbelievably difficult time. Please pray for Taylor's mom, step-dad, sister and father.

1 comment:

RaNae said...

So sorry to hear about Michelle's friend. Hugz,