Sunday, August 9, 2009

Tropical Snowballs


I enjoyed the movie Julie & Julia, remembering fondly watching Julia Child years ago and being inspired to try new recipes and have fun with my cooking and baking. I'm not good with keeping a regular routine, such as Julie Powell cooking through Julia's book in one year, blogging her experience daily. My days are just to unpredictable, no, I'm too unpredictable, to follow such a regimen on my own. I have a habit of not honoring commitments made to myself.

But I WANT to be consistent. I love to write and often "blog" in my head, even if I don't have the time or energy to get to the computer to type the words. At the same time, I love cooking and would love to host my own cooking show. I plan to actually enter The Next Food Network Star competition this year, though I can't imagine what unique culinary point of view I could offer. I love to invent recipes and want others to enjoy cooking, not dread or fear it.

I've decided (we'll see if I do follow through) that I need to do a vlog of cooking. Each time I invent a new recipe, I want to make a video showing the steps and just have some fun with it. I want to respect my deaf friends, but doubt I'll have time to caption my movies. I think I should make signed versions as well as voice versions.

I've also decided that what I lack in culinary expertise I could learn through a similar method that Julie Powell took. If I find some great cookbooks that include a wide array of culinary techniques, I can cook my way through them to learn the classic preparations and sauces the "big" chefs use. It should be fun along the way.

So, to the main point of my thoughts today. While shopping for a specific book (which was not to be found) my daughters and I happened upon the following book...

(only ours has blue gingham; 2007 edition)
Cool. Should be good inspiration as we face this year's state fair in a few weeks. I wondered if I or any of my notable competitors had recipes in the book. I checked and Oregon was one of the fairs included. Time was short, the store was closing, so I made the quick decision to buy the book (luckily not too expensive at Ross). At home, I leafed through the book. Great recipes. I can't wait to try them, especially the ones from the Maui Onion Festival.

For now, get your copy and turn to page 342. I'll wait. Oh, you don't have the book? Okay, here is a photo of the page for you. (click image to enlarge)

There I am. Nestled between Blueberry-Ginger Sorbet (Maine) and Pumpkin-Ginger Ice Cream. I vaguely remembered being asked permission to have one of my recipes included in this type of cookbook, but couldn't remember when and I had never heard anything else about it. It was so neat to find myself in print! Feel free to make some... they have no added sugar and came from a recipe I invented for my diabetic step-dad earlier that summer.

Hope to start vlogging this week as I begin practicing for this year's fair. Keep cookin'!

1 comment:

RaNae said...

Kewl!!! Glad you made the decision to buy the book. I have diabetes, so I'll definitely have to try it.